Craft Director Studio’s different tools have been created in a way so that they are scalable to very different uses. A combination of tools can create very advanced rigs. Rigging is done by moving, rotating and scaling the tools’ dummies so that they fit the parts of the actual vehicle or machine.
This makes the tools very flexible and complex machines can be rigged to be controlled in real-time.
All tools created in Craft Director Studio have a checkbox which enables/disables the tool for animation. All tools that are checked are run simultaneously in parallel yielding a system with modules that enables the animator to build virtually any machine or vehicle whereby effectively generating a “new plug-in” (e.g. a military tank which is a combination of at least 200 moving parts which are handled by at least 20 simultaneously running simulations through different Craft Director Studio tools).
Settings / Parameters
The tools come with a ton of different settings / parameters that alter how the tool behaves. Craft 4-Wheeler Extended for example can be anything from a tiny toy car to a big dumper truck.
The tools also have a set of presets, “parameter profiles”, such as (for Craft 4-Wheeler Extended): Micro car, Compact car, Mid-size car, Sports car, Pickup truck, Truck, Bus, etc.
After a recording has been made all tools have the ability to let the users rewind the time slider to any point in time and seamlessly do a animation retake from that point in time.
Flexible system, adapts to scene changes
If changes need to be done to the geometry that a vehicle has been recorded to drive on, all is not lost. Craft Director Studio has a feature called “Resimulate” which takes the input data of the recorded animation and re-creates the animation according to the current (changed) geometry (or changed parameters/settings).
Resimulation is a very important feature for professionals. It allows the user to change the physics of a camera or vehicle and then resimulating it yielding entirely different behavior but with the exact same path or movements as before. It allows for the user to tweak the physics together with a customer or director and get their approval in real time.
Basic Building Blocks (Freeware):
- Basic controllable cameras.
- Basic cars.
- Basic airplanes.
Craft Utility Tools
- Position, rotation and scale tools.
- Position, rotation and scale gauges.
- Cog Wheels.
- Machine parts.
- Proximity Triggers.
- Ray casting.
- Geared chains.
- Targeted cameras.
- Sinusoid outputs.
- State Machines.
Advanced Building Blocks (Commercial Add-ons)
Craft Camera Tools
- The main feature that gives the cameras their cinematic feel is not only the smoothness they automatically gives the clip, but more importantly that they are actually controlled by the user in real-time which will give a human feel to it by definition.
- Intuitive manual or automatic camera control yielding cinematic smoothness and camera man vividness.
- Real life camera controls.
- Optional 3D mouse controlled cameras gives creative, high-precision control.
- Dynamic follow cameras.
- Camera Rail tools.
- Rigs for mounting on vehicles to yield reactive shakes.
- Spherical motion support.
- Multiple camera state switching (smooth or immediate).
- Effects and motions are layered on top of each other to give a composed effect.
- Walk cycles.
- Natural hand held, cinematic zooming.
- Natural hand held changing of focal point.
- Automatic zooming.
- Versatile modes for camera shake.
- Space exploration cameras.
Craft Vehicle Tools
- Advanced cars, complex tanks, 18 wheeled trucks, trailers, helicopters, airplanes, motorcycles, boats, lawnmowers, wheel loaders, cranes, bicycles, snow mobiles, flying cars, space ships, gliders, hover crafts, satellites, Mars rovers.
- Possibility for vehicles to interact with surfaces. Surfaces may be animated. Surfaces may also be vertex animated by which crushing of objects may be animated. Also to animate the surface like water to make them react to waves as boats.
- Fully dynamic caterpillar tracks/crawler tracks/tank threads that react to shakes and ground features.
- Extended versions have a so called Autonomous Mode that makes the vehicles follow splines or other objects automatically. It is like an autopilot where the driver/pilot automatically follows something but can alter/manipulate the automatic path in real time for more action packed clips. Autonomous Mode makes a user an expert in controlling the vehicle immediately.
- Large amount of presets for different type of vehicles.
- Multi wheel support.
- Realistic shake modes for real life irregularities.
- Support for interaction with meshes, optionally these meshes can be vertex animated.
- Interaction between tools through external force and virtual inputs.
Craft Weapon Tools
- Guided or unguided missiles that can be fired of from helicopters, airplanes, cars etc while in motion.
- Synchronized shell ejection.
- Plasma cannons.
- Ballistic missiles.
- Dynamic bullet and shell generation.